How do I upgrade the firmware on my D-Link router?
How do I upgrade the firmware on my router?
Follow the directions below to upgrade the firmware for the D-Link DI-514, DI-524, DI-604, DI-614+, DI-624, DI-704P (revC), DI-704UP, DI-714P+, DI-754, DI-764, DI-774, DI-784, DI-804HV, DI-808HV, and DI-824HV routers from any operating system including Windows, Linux, and Macintosh with a java-enabled web browser (Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc).
Please read before upgrade:
Step 1 Download the latest firmware.
- Upgrading firmware (in most cases) will reset all the settings to default which means you will lose all your settings (including your password).
- You do not have to upgrade incrementally. You can upgrade the newest version.
- You cannot use the backup settings feature and apply it to the newer firmware.
- Do NOT upgrade firmware from a computer with a wireless connection. Use a computer that you can connect to the router using an Ethernet cable. You may damage the router due to the increased packet loss with a wireless connection.
- If your DI-604 was purchased in Europe, this upgrade will not work. For an office near you, click here.
Click here for step-by-step instructions for downloading firmware.
Step 2 Once you´ve downloaded the firmware, open a web browser such as Internet Explorer or Netscape and enter the IP address of your router (192.168.0.1).
Step 3 Enter your username (admin) and your password (leave the field blank). Click OK to enter the web configuration for the device.
Step 4 Click on the Tools tab and then the Firmware button on the left side. Click on the Browse button and browse to the .bin (or .dlf) file you downloaded in Step 1. Highlight the file by clicking on it once and click Open.
Step 5 Click Apply. It may take a up to 30 seconds for the upgrade to complete. Click on the Continue button. The firmware is now upgraded.
Step 6 If you get a Page cannot be displayed or similar error after clicking Continue, close your browser and re-open it. Enter 192.168.0.1 and press Enter. You should now be prompted for your username (admin) and your password (leave blank).
To download the latest firmware, follow the instructions below:
Step 1 Visit http://support.dlink.com. Select your product in the drop-down menu and then click Go!
Step 2 You may be prompted to select a revision. The revision is listed on the bottom of the unit next to H/W: Click on the revision that applies to you.
Step 3 In the center of the screen, click on the Download Now button next to the firmware version you want.
Step 4 Make sure you remember the name of the file. Click Save.
Step 5 Next to Save in, click the down-arrow and select Desktop. Click Save. The file will be saved to your desktop.
Step 6 Once the file is downloaded, click Close. Do not open or try to run this file. It will not work.
Step 7 Connect your computer to the device you want to upgrade (if not already connected).
Click here to continue the upgrade procedure (continue with Step 2 at the top).
Created On: 12/17/2004 4:29:00 PM
Last Modified On: 3/15/2011 1:59:00 PM
Article ID: 10363
Viewed 4,877 times